Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

top ten Austen-esque



Top Ten Books for those who love Jane Austen

Our hostesses The Broke and the Bookish!

There are several Austen-esque books that I have enjoyed, as well as a few that were well-written and might appeal to those who have loved the novels of Jan Austen.  There may be one or two ‘modern’ ones, but the rest of historical. (Please note, these are not in any particular order – they are all fabulous and you should throw them on to your TBR pile if they aren’t already there!)

Charlotte Collins by Jennifer Becton.  This has been one of my favorite spin-offs, and it’s about a minor character who gets her own story.

An Assembly Such as This (and the others in the series) by Pamela Aidan.  It was shortly after I had discovered Jane Austen in my 20’s that I came across this series in the library.  I had no idea that someone had retold P&P from the perspective of Mr. Darcy.  It was a wonderful treat to discover this story.   I still think of the piece of ribbon in his pocket!

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James.  I loved this story.  It was neat to read Jane Austen’s “diary.”  If you haven’t read this (or her story about Charlotte Bronte) you are in for a treat!

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig.  This delightful book, the first in a long series, is a historical novel that is time-split and very well done.  I enjoyed the high-level of with and intelligence in this story.

Willoughby’s Return by Jane Odiwe.  This takes place after Marianne Dashwood (of Sense and Sensibility) marries the Colonel and what would happen if Willoughby decided to re-enter her life.  It was very well-written and a great story, to boot.

Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight.  This is a modern day story with the wit and wisdom of Jane Austen who guides a scientific skeptic in finding love.  It’s great fun and I loved the trip around Austin, Texas!

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler. A modern girl gets transported back to Regency England without cell-phone coverage and tries to make the best of it.  If it had happened to me, I probably would have thought many of the same things that occurred in this story.  Laugh out loud fun ensues!

A Weekend with Mr. Darcy by Victoria Connelly.  I thought that this was the best of the series (being the first) and quite fun!  Lorna Warwick was the most fun, and most surprising, of the story!

The True Darcy Spirit and others by Elizabeth Aston.  I believe the first one written was Mr Darcy’s Daughters. Each book is a stand alone, but you may see characters from one story in another.  Another wonderful thing about these books was that each had a different style. A mystery, a continuation, a love story… they were well-written and quite enjoyed!

Lady Vernon and Her Daughter by Jane Rubino.  This was based on Jane Austen’s epistolary novella Lady Susan.  I really enjoyed this novel, as it was well-written and had good depth.

And these are ones that I have on my shelf and will one day get to, once I am done reading text books and non-fiction reference books (there are several others, but these are at the top of my list!):

Austensibly Ordinary by Alyssa Goodnight
Attempting Elizabeth by Jessica Grey

Looking forward to your Top Ten List this week... what will it be?
all books are linked to GoodReads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...