Thursday, August 25, 2011

bbt - History

btt button
Sometimes I feel like the only person I know who finds reading history fascinating. It’s so full of amazing-yet-true stories of people driven to the edge and how they reacted to it. I keep telling friends that a good history book (as opposed to some of those textbooks in school that are all lists and dates) does everything a good novel does–it grips you with real characters doing amazing things.
Am I REALLY the only person who feels this way? When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL.

I cannot say, as a history major (hangs her head in shame) that I have ever (besides textbooks) read historical nonfiction... I may have unknowingly...  I know, I know!  For someone who LOVES history, I have found the few historical non-fictions that I have read were dry as dog bones!  So...I stopped!

Historical Fictions, on the other hand, are a completely different story!  I have to force myself, sometimes, to read something other than HF... my family was about ready to run an intervention on me.  So this year, I have taken a challenge to read something other than HF.  I love a well-researched HF!  It is enjoyable to learn while reading... a strange concept, I'm sure!

Some that have stood out are:
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James
The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James
The Josephine Bonaparte Collection by Sandra Gulland
A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander - not based on any particular historical person, but the details were amazing!

So..I am looking forward to what you think... Is history 'fun'...can it be entertaining?  Yes it can... in the right writer's hands.  Now... I will have to find out others' favorite historical NONfictions, and give those a try!  Let me know what your favorite is!

14 comments:

  1. Historical fiction books would be a much easier question to answer, or maybe harder since there are so many great options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, those books sound amazing. Definitely ones I need to add to my list :)

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Historical Fiction is something, right? I love reading it, too, and I love learning about the "old times" as long as there is action somewhere in the novel. Plain history contains wars and stuff, but...I just can't read it, and take it seriously :)

    Great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to think of it, I don't know that many of my fellow history majors at my own university spent a lot of time reading historical nonfiction. I guess they got enough of it in class. It's inevitable when working on term papers, though -- I found some great reads while during research.

    (But then I'm a geek who reads stuff like Will Durant's "Story of Civilization" for fun. :-p)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite genre is historical fiction.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    I honestly can't think of any historical nonfiction that I've read. Obviously besides textbooks. I might have to try reading some.

    - April @ From Book to Hooked

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen was a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I do like some but have a hard time finding ones I think I'd like. Your list is going into my TBR list. :)

    Here's Mine: House Millar - BTT

    Aine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stopping by and for the list. I have challenged myself that one day, I will step outside of my comfort zone and try to read one, and you gave me a starting point. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heey
    Thanks for stepping by! I also really love HF! And The Secret DIaries of Charlotte Brontee looks amazing!!
    Hope you have a great weekend,
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the Russians have a tendency to be slightly depressng, but that's why I love them. That and their humour.

    I haven't read any of Herman Wouk's books on WWII - not that I recall off hand, but I'll def check him out.

    Also, you have me utterly confused with this 'learn while reading' thing? How would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Those books sound awesome and may even convert me to a historical fiction fan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting some of the books that stood out for you! It's great to learn about other types of interesting books out there!


    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those last two books on your list look especially interesting!
    I agree that the right writer can make history really entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. If you leave a link to yours, I would love to visit... but it may take a few days before I comment or explore!

Sorry about the word verification - I hate them, too - but I hate vulgar spam more!

Have a Fabuloso Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...