Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Molly's Millions

Molly's Millions by Victoria Connelly

A fun, quick read.  What would you do with £4.2 million?  I probably would have done something like Molly did (but not everything).  It's fun to think about, and this book takes one spin on the concept of winning the lottery and what to do with all of that money (though taxes eating up half of the win was never mentioned!). 

I am VERY glad, however, to have been living in England for a few months before I read this, or would have otherwise been a bit lost in some of the references and the tone of the novel.  It was well-written (British phrases aside), and I found myself cheering Molly on!  However, there were a few aspects that brought the book down.  The first being Tom’s daughter, Flora.  She is ten years old, but speaks like a seven-year-old.  Then there are the Bailey Men, particularly Martyn, whom you wanted to shake and tell him to shape up.  There were also a few things were never wrapped up.

It was fun watching Molly sharing her wealth.  I was hoping, however, that she made it back to the B&B in the Cotswolds, to do something there, but I didn’t write this story.  The end did leave this reader a little flat.

If you are looking for a fun read, with a little bit of Britain, this is the one for you.  As I mentioned, I was invested in Molly, and would loved to have seen more of her character and spirit (though LESS of her sleeping around, which I felt was unnecessary), but wanted to see the other characters fleshed out better.

3.5 Stars
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...