Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

The Westing Game

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

I picked this book up because of all of the wonderful reviews I had read.  Many people touted it as a Favorite, and one of those books that they still remember far into their adults years.  I agree with a few reviews that I have read - I wish I had read this when it first came out (I would have been 12 - perfect age for this book).

A Juvenile Fiction book written in 1978. It was who-dunnit of sorts, and winner of the Newbery Medal. I completed the book, wanting to know how it actually ended. Would I recommend it, as so many others have? No, I would not, unless you were in upper elementary school. It was simply written, with many repetitions, and I had figured out the clues before page 90. It was a nice little escape and a very quick read.

I wish that the characters had seemed a bit more real.  Everyone was exaggerated and many things were NOT explained.  I admit, though, I grabbed a piece of paper to try to figure out the clues, which happened pretty quickly.  Guess that might be the 'old person' in me that did that.

If you have a young reader that you know, I would suggest the book to him or her...they may like the style and hopefully will have fun figuring out the Westing Game. 

3 Stars 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...