Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

review: Scarlet

Title by Author:  Scarlet by Marissa Meyers
Series (if applicable): Lunar Chronicles #2
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publication Date: February 2013
Page Count:  452
Source: library
Blurb: 
The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
 
My Interest in this book is: Absolutely LOVED Cinder!

My Review:
Scarlet is the second in the Lunar Chronicles series of four books (I have to wait until 2015?!? to finish the series?!). Scarlet is the main character in this book, but Cinder is ever-present in almost alternating chapters.  Scarlet Benoit is a young lady who lives with her grandmother in the French countryside, and helps out on her grandmother’s farm.  When Scarlet comes home to find her grandmother gone, but her id chip left behind, Scarlet knows that something is wrong.  Even though the police don’t take her grandmother’s disappearance seriously, Scarlet wants answers and she is willing to do just about anything to get those answers.  That includes trusting Wolf, a street fighter, who says he can help.

While this is going on, Cinder is trying to break out of prison before the Lunar Queen Levana can take her back to the moon to execute her.  Cinder is still trying to deal with the knowledge she recently learned from Dr. Erland.  As she tries to escape, she finds herself teamed up with another prisoner, who may not have all of his wires connected.

While the world building in this story was worlds away better than that of Cinder (my only problem with that story), and the action non-stop, I found myself a bit disconnected from this sequel to Cinder.  I was so taken with Cinder and the relationship between herself and Prince Kai.  I loved the tension and felt like the characters were real.  In Scarlet, however, I wasn’t that attached to the characters.  To be honest, by favorite character was Iko, Cinder’s old droid. Iko had the same sense of humor and witty comments.  Cinder was also good in this one as well, but it was more action and less interaction.  That was all this book was about…action.

The story definitely twisted along in the plot line, and didn’t get too tangled.  I was left, however, with wanting a little more depth in the characters.  When I read Cinder, I had no idea what was going on in the world around me.  Scarlet, unfortunately, did not captivate me quite as much; it was definitely a book that I had no problem putting down to do mundane house tasks. I am hoping for more interaction, if it’s possible, between Cinder and Emperor Kai in the future.  I would also like to see more on how people got to the moon, and how they mutated.  I hope that these issues will be addressed in future installments (and wrap-up) of this series.

Write faster, Marissa!

When I finished this book, I felt: Slightly disappointed that the character development fell to non-stop action.  It was nice to see Cinder and the continuation of the story.
Rating: 4 Stars
Other books to read by this author or theme:  Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Here is my review of that story.
Tag: dystopia, fairy-retelling, cyborg, intrigue, action

I read this book for the Reading Outside the Box Challenge - Category  #4 - 5 Star Day
Everyone that I review/read gave this one 5 Stars... didn't match up for me, however.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...