Sunday, July 14, 2013

i H8 Crappy Endings!




I don’t know about you, but the ending is usually what makes or breaks a rating that I give a book.  I could be enjoying the book all along, really excited to find time to read it, and then BAM!   

You get hit with a super crappy ending!  What is it?  Does the publisher breathe down the author’s back and DEMAND the book right now, whether or not it’s been finished?


What do I mean by crappy endings?!

It’s rushed
It just doesn’t fit
It almost seems like someone else wrote it

You know the ones.  You almost feel let down when you finish the story.  And you want your time back!  Unfortunately, it seems that there are more ‘bad endings’ out there than good ones.  Even Nicholas Sparks (bless his soul, I think he is learning!) has endings that rip your heart out, but at least you have an emotion other than “What just happened?

The last two fiction books I have read thoroughly disappointed me with their endings.  It almost makes me want to stick with non-fiction, as they really don’t have endings to begin with!  But I would really like to understand why this happens.   

Does the author just not know how to finish it?  
 Did they end up in the hospital and the editor had to find someone to wrap up a well-developed story? 

And that’s the thing… The story is going well until the end!  The author is obviously creative enough because they sucked me in, in the first place!  There are books that I have cried at the end (Nicholas Sparks, aside), and those books weren’t considered, in my book, books with bad endings.  Things didn’t necessarily go as planned, but it made sense and it fit and it wasn’t rushed!

Let me know which books you felt were bad endings and why … So I can avoid reading them!

11 comments:

  1. Mockingjay is the perfect example of a bad ending!! However, going in the opposite direction, Clockwork Princess is probably one of the best endings I've ever read. I definitely know what you mean though. It seems to me that authors are always giving their books cliffhangers at the end, and I'm kind of getting sick of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have yet to read the Hunger Games series (I know, I know!) and I have heard that about the ending of Mockingjay. My brother-in-law said it needed to be that way, though. It has me intrigued and I WILL read these (by Grabthar's Hammer!) :)

      Delete
    2. ...and I am putting Clockwork Princess on my TBR pile! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kelly above, I HATED Mockingjay's ending. But, I just finished Elegy (Watersong #4) by Amanda Hocking, and LOVED the ending. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look up the Watersong books... looks intriguing. Thanks for pointing it out!

      Delete
  3. I agree. I just finished a book that probably would have been a solid three stars in Goodreads. It wasn't life-changing, but I enjoyed reading it. Then I got to the end where it was revealed that the two guys the MC had been toggling between were actually long-lost father and son. My entire opinion of the book was immediately downgraded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW... bit of a shocker for an ending! I would also put it way down as well. "I want my hours back!" is probably what I would have screamed as I flung the book across the room!

      Delete
  4. Total truth about poor endings! Personally, I feel betrayed after having given my trust and time to the story only to be pushed out of the moving vehicle as we approach the destination. Not cool. New circle of Dante's playground for those authors, I suspect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love it... and I think that circle of Hell might be about par with attorneys! (hopefully you aren't a lawyer! lol!) That is very well put - definitely a betrayal!

      Delete
  5. Ah yeah that's always lovely. For the most part I think the ones I read end well. Maybe not perfect. Maybe a little cheesy but most don't ruin the book for me. I did read a review book earlier this year The Thing with Feathers. It's a very sad book. They spend years struggling. Not having happy moments, having them shatter. Non stop heartbreak. Then they finally get back together. It looks like they'll have a happily ever after and...


    SPOILER



    They both die. Murdered within hours of finally finding each other again. I just. There were so many bad words. It was well written but man I was ticked off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had several books recently where I've finished the book and just sit there scratching my head. I find myself searching for extra pages in the book and/or continuing to click the next page on my nook to no avail. Sadly, the words just aren't there.

    I have to second the comment above about Mockingjay. I wanted to fling my book across the room when I finished that. The first two were SO GOOD and then this one popped out. I refused to believe that was the end. I kept saying to myself, "maybe a fourth one is coming?"

    Glad that rushed ending thing doesn't just frustrate me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. If you leave a link to yours, I would love to visit... but it may take a few days before I comment or explore!

Sorry about the word verification - I hate them, too - but I hate vulgar spam more!

Have a Fabuloso Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...