Saturday, April 21, 2012

s is for... Stonehenge


My favorite place in England.  We had an opportunity to be inside of the henge - and it was truly an amazing experience for me.  Since I was a wee lass - I have always wanted to see Stonehenge!  The first time we went to see it, I was awe struck as we were driving towards it.  This first time we were only able to walk around it - and this was within a month of being in England.  However, within a month of leaving England, my aunt was able to get us inside of the circle.


On the chilly, windy day in early May, we walked on the hallowed ground of the inner circle.  Right before we left, the sun broke through the clouds and the stones were awash with light.  In the midst of being completely overwhelmed with the beauty and the power of this spot, I must have taken over 200 pictures.


  • The circle has been aligned to coincide with the midsummer sunrise and midwinter sunset. The southerly and northerly rising of the moon is also seen.
  • The architecture of Stonehenge has taken into account mathematical and geometrical considerations. The construction is structurally engineered to perfection.
  • For more 'Fun Facts,' visit Historical Travel Guide 

This circle of stones, surrounded by a henge (or ditch) is still a mystery to this day - who built it and why?  But it is truly a sight to behold - and to experience!

On my way to finishing the A to Z Challenge...

9 comments:

  1. That top picture with the clouds is truly stunning! I was there as a child and don't remember much - but I feel I must return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I had fun with the camera that day... You must go again... it is definitely a 'life experience'. Here's how

      Delete
  2. I've wanted to visit Stonehenge for as long as I can remember. I can't believe you actually got to get that close, you're so lucky! I thought people were only allowed 'inside' during the Summer Solstice rituals. Gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Solstice is one time I would NOT want to be there...with 20,000+ people! You can buy a special pass that allows you inside either before or after opening hours. As we were leaving, there was a group of people dressed in Renn garb, getting ready to do a Hand-Fasting. That would have been neat to watch!

      Delete
  3. Someday I must absolutely go there. Your post here reminds me... love love loved reading (and viewing!) your thoughta dn observations!


    Julie Jordan Scott
    Fellow A to Z Challenge Writer
    twitter: @juliejordanscot
    S is for Sara Teasdale
    On a Mission to Spread Word-Love Throughout the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - hope you stop by once in a while!

      Delete
  4. Those are wonderful pictures. I didn't know you couldn't just walk up to it. I'd love to go someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either that first time we went... I was quite bummed! But it was nice to be a part of a group that did have Inner Circle access later!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! Stonehenge is on my travel wishlist, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. If you leave a link to yours, I would love to visit... but it may take a few days before I comment or explore!

Sorry about the word verification - I hate them, too - but I hate vulgar spam more!

Have a Fabuloso Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...