Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

s is for... Stonehenge


My favorite place in England.  We had an opportunity to be inside of the henge - and it was truly an amazing experience for me.  Since I was a wee lass - I have always wanted to see Stonehenge!  The first time we went to see it, I was awe struck as we were driving towards it.  This first time we were only able to walk around it - and this was within a month of being in England.  However, within a month of leaving England, my aunt was able to get us inside of the circle.


On the chilly, windy day in early May, we walked on the hallowed ground of the inner circle.  Right before we left, the sun broke through the clouds and the stones were awash with light.  In the midst of being completely overwhelmed with the beauty and the power of this spot, I must have taken over 200 pictures.


  • The circle has been aligned to coincide with the midsummer sunrise and midwinter sunset. The southerly and northerly rising of the moon is also seen.
  • The architecture of Stonehenge has taken into account mathematical and geometrical considerations. The construction is structurally engineered to perfection.
  • For more 'Fun Facts,' visit Historical Travel Guide 

This circle of stones, surrounded by a henge (or ditch) is still a mystery to this day - who built it and why?  But it is truly a sight to behold - and to experience!

On my way to finishing the A to Z Challenge...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...