Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

top ten for the Occasional Reader

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists.


Top Ten Reads for the Occasional Reader

Here are a list of books that span across different genres, in hopes that you would read just one of them!  I hope that I have a little something that you might like!

     1.      Persuasion by Jane Austen.  Classic.  If you know me, you know that the first book I would recommend would be my favorite of Jane’s.  It is wonderful how her books have transcended time and are still relevant after two centuries!
     2.      Once a Hero by Michael A. Stackpole. Fantasy. If you want to read a great fantasy novel, this is my all-time favorite.  The worlds that Stackpole describes are incredible and it is a great story for both men and women.
     3.      Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. Science Fiction.  Once again, a classic in its own right and it is more than just a sci-fi book, but a look at human nature, in a way… seeing that we all have a chance to be somebody.
     4.      Emily and Einstein by Linda Francis Lee.  Contemporary.  This was my favorite book that I read last year.  It’s about moving on and finding yourself after you thought you already knew your place in the world.  And Einstein is hilarious!
     5.      The Oracle Glass by Judith Merkle Riley. Historical.  Set during the reign of Louis XIV in Paris, this is a fascinating tale of a young girl who had the power to see snippets of the future.  The world of the Sun King comes to life in this book, and you feel as if you are there in Paris with Genevieve.
     6.      Cinder by Marissa Meyer. YA Sci-Fi. I just read this book and loved it.  I know that the world building could have been better, but the characters, especially Cinder, seemed so real to me.  I also enjoyed the intrigue that was thrown in as well.
     7.      One by Richard Bach. Metaphysical.  This story is wonderful.  If you have never read Richard Bach, please do so…even one of his short stories like Jonathan Livingston Seagull.  It’s about the world, about how we are all One and how important it is to be IN the moment!
     8.      Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight. Contemporary Austen-esque Paranormal (how’s that for a genre title).  Talk about funny and fantastic characters.  I want Nicola James as my best friend, just so I can hear what is going on in her life. 
     9.      To Shield a Queen by Fiona Buckley. Historical Mystery. This is the first of the Ursula Blanchard mysteries that focus on Queen Elizabeth I’s court.  I quite enjoyed these books.  Even though I read them years ago, I think that they were wonderful reads.
     10.   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer. Historical.  This was a surprising gem of a book, and I think that everyone should read it.  It’s about people, very quirky people with whom you instantly fall in love with.  It is also a little surprising, as it is set during WWII and set on a small English island just off of the coast of France.
     
     I hope that you will try one of these books, if you haven't already.  
     I am looking forward to what you would recommend to an 
    occasional reader, in hopes of getting them to read!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...